Committee Mission Statement and Message from the Chair
The research committee for the Society for Education in Anesthesia is committed to assisting the society and its members with promoting and developing medical education research as it relates to the field of Anesthesiology. A primary role of the committee is organizing and grading abstracts for the annual spring meeting as well as identifying the best abstracts to be awarded the recently created Philip Liu Awards for Innovations in Anesthesia Education.
As a group, we are committed to assist all authors to have their abstracts ultimately published as a manuscript in a peer reviewed journal. To assist in this matter the committee is responsible for providing research related resources to its members on the research portal at the SEA website. This is a growing endeavor and we would like to hear from any members what tools or resources would be helpful.
Input and assistance from the members is vital to the success of the committee. The members of the committee meet twice a year at the fall and spring meetings. All members of the committee are asked to grade the manuscripts for the spring meeting and are encouraged to help moderate poster sessions at the spring meeting. Finally, the research committee must review all surveys that would like to be disseminated to the SEA membership. The Research Committee, after reviewing the surveys, makes a recommendation to the SEA Board regarding the need and propriety of the survey to the SEA members.
The Research Committee is considered to be a committee of high strategic importance. I would like to thank all of the members who have dedicated time to this committee and I would encourage any members of SEA to join us. Anyone interested can meet with us at the round table discussions at the meetings or contact the research committee chair if they have questions.
Nina Deutsch, MD, Chair, SEA Research Committee
Goals and Objectives
- Provide a forum for research in anesthesiology education
- Provide resources, advice and mentorship to educators planning and conducting research
- Administer SEA research award
- Review and moderate meeting abstracts
- Work to align the SEA with FAER to promote education grant applications
- Encourage members to produce high quality education research proposals and engage in collaborative studies
Committee's Action Plan
- Foster ongoing basic and advanced research oriented workshops as a continuing series for the Fall and Spring Meetings
- Collaborate with other committees on research protocol formulation and realization
- Encourage more involvement from fellows, residents, and medical students in anesthesia research
- Propose multi-centered studies of education in anesthesia
Tetsuro Sakai, MD, PhD, MHA