The Society for Education in Anesthesia (SEA) was founded formally in January, 1985. The concept of SEA developed from a Workshop on Education held in St. Louis four years earlier at the ASA Annual meeting. More than 200 anesthesiologists attended the Workshop on Education and the success of the workshop encouraged a smaller group to develop and hold additional education-oriented meetings.
The first SEA Annual meeting and workshop was held in San Francisco on Friday, October 11, 1985.
The original SEA Board of Directors included the following:
- Phillip L. Liu, M.D., Boston, MA, President
- Ronald J. Faust, M.D., Rochester, MN, Vice President
- Robert L. Willenkin, M.D., Pittsburgh, PA, Secretary
- Michael F. Mulroy, M.D., Seattle, WA, Treasurer
- Arnold J. Berry, M.D., Atlanta, GA
- Alan W. Grogono, M.D., New Orleans, LA
Click here for a photo gallery on the history of SEA.